- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 6-ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3-ounces soft goat cheese
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 16-ounces thin skirt steak, about ¼ inch thick
- 8 slices from French bread loaf, about ½ inch thick
- 4-6 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet or non-stick pan to medium high heat. Add onions and cook until slightly softened, 3-5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low and cook 20 minutes or until golden brown and very soft, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, place tomatoes in a baking pan. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper, stir to coat. Bake at 400º F for 12-15 minutes or until soft. Remove and mash tomatoes, stir into cooked onions and remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, mix cream cheese, goat cheese, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt and ⅛ teaspoon pepper until combined, set aside.
- Turn oven on regular to high broil. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper to taste (optional). Place in oven, 5-6 inches from heat. Broil 5-10 minutes, flipping halfway until browned, slightly firm and cooked to desired doneness. Remove steaks, allow to sit 5 minutes, then cut into ½ inch pieces.
- Coat both sides of sliced bread with remaining olive oil. Broil bread 3-5 minutes until toasted.
- Spread cheese mixture onto toast, top with steak, then tomato jam. Top with fresh basil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.