- 3 medium cactus paddles
- About 2 tablespoons vegetable or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin and chili powder
- 1pound skirt or flank steak
- 12 fresh warm corn tortillas
- Sour Cream
- Cotija or feta cheese
- With a sharp knife, clean the cactus paddles by trimming all the edges and scraping off the spines. Measure 1 tablespoon of the lard, oil or bacon drippings into a large (12-inch), heavy well-seasoned skillet (preferably cast-iron) or griddle and set over medium-high heat.
- When hot, add the cactus and cook until done, about 8 to 10 minutes. Slice into strips.
- Generously salt both sides of each piece of meat. Wipe the skillet or griddle and return it to medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. When very hot (it’ll just begin to smoke), sear the meat for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Build your tacos with the cactus, steak, some cheese, sour cream and salsa.