Filet Mignon with Porcini Mushroom Compound Butter
March 6, 2015
- 2 1½” thick Filet Mignon steaks, about 5-6 ounces each, at room temperature
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Porcini butter, recipe below
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Season the steaks generously with kosher salt and ground black pepper. Season more than you think you’ll need as much of it comes off during the cooking process.
- Heat a cast iron pan on the stovetop over high heat. Melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the steaks and cook each side of the steaks including the top, bottom and sides for about 4 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Remove from heat and add the garlic slices and thyme and cook in the oven until the internal temperature reaches 140-145 degrees F for medium rare.
- Meanwhile, remove the Porcini Butter Compound from the refrigerator and slice into ½ inch pats.
- Remove from the oven, spoon cooked juices over the steak and serve with a pat of Porcini butter over the Filets and garlic. Garnish with more fresh thyme if desired.