- 1 flank steak (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- Layer together the flank steak, sugar, bourbon, and red pepper flakes in a bowl. Rub the sugar and red pepper flakes into the steak. Put the steak in a 1-gallon plastic bag, add the remaining sugar mixture, seal the bag, and let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 hours.
- Heat the broiler (or grill) and lay the steak on a baking sheet (one that you’re ok with warping under the broiler). Generously season the steak all over with salt. Place the steak under the broiler — it should be 4 to 6 inches from the flame — and broil for 3 minutes on each side for medium rare. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes, then cut into 1/4-inch slices. Serve with mashed potatoes and sauteed bitter greens.