Pepper Jack Steak Sandwich
- 1 pound flat iron steak about 1 inch thick
- 1/4 cup red wine (I used Chianti)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 hoagie rolls
- 8 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 lettuce leaves
- jalapeno mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 jalapenos (seeds removed from 1 jalapeno), minced
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- kosher salt
- Place steak in a resealable plastic bag.
- Whisk red wine, Worcestershire, garlic, seasoning salt and celery salt together in a bowl. Pour over steak. Seal bag and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- While the steak is marinating, make the jalapeno dressing by combining first four ingredients together in a bowl. Season to taste with salt. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- After steak has marinated, heat butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Once butter melts add steak. Cook 5 – 6 minutes on each side for medium rare. (Keep in mind that the steak will cook a bit under the broiler as well)
- Transfer cooked steak to the cutting board and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Once rested, thinly slice against the grain.
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Cut hoagie rolls in half. For each sandwich, place 4 – 5 slices of steak on the bottom half of the roll. Place 2 slices of cheese on top of the steak. Place under the broiler until the cheese melts, about 1 minute. You may also toast the top half of the roll at this time, but it won’t take as long as the bottom half so keep an eye on it.
- After cheese has melted, remove sandwich from oven, place lettuce on top. Spread jalapeno mayonnaise on top half of the roll.