- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 filet mignon steaks (about 1 1/2 – 2 inches thick)
- pepper and kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn blend
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon beef broth
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season both sides of filets with salt and pepper. Cook steaks 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to plate, cover. Set aside.
- Use a mortar and pestle to crack the peppercorns. If you don’t have one you can place the peppercorns in a plastic bag then pound with the side of a meat mallet or bottom of a frying pan. You don’t want them too small, just cracked.
- In the same pan that you cooked the steak in add olive oil and shallots. Cook 1 minute. Add cracked peppercorns, cook 1 minute. Whisk in 1/2 cup beef broth. Reduce heat to low and slowly whisk in heavy cream. Allow to simmer for 3 minutes or until thickened. If it gets too thick add remaining tablespoon of beef broth.
- Transfer steak to a serving platter. Spoon peppercorn sauce over the top. Serve immediately.