- 2 scotch fillet steaks, at room temperature
- 1 ciabatta loaf
- 2 vine tomatoes, thickly sliced
- Cos lettuce leaves
- Gruyere cheese, sliced
- Sea salt flakes and freshly cracked black pepper
- 800g vine tomatoes, diced
- 250g kiwiberries, halved
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 70g caster sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped and pod reserved
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Juice from 1 lemon
- To make chutney, add all ingredients (including scraped vanilla pod) to a medium sized saucepan over a high heat. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to super low and allow to simmer, stirring regularly, for about 3 hours or until fruit breaks down and liquid evaporates. Set aside.
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 80ºC. Heat ciabatta in the oven until ready to serve.
- Season steaks generously with salt and pepper. Heat a chargrill pan to super hot. Cook steaks to your liking, about 2-3 mins each side (for medium rare). Remove from pan and allow to rest for 2 mins (save juices) before slicing very thinly and tossing steak strips in their juices.
- Cut ciabatta loaf in half widthways, then lengthways to make two sandwiches. Spread the bottom layers of the bread generously with kiwiberry chutney then top with steak strips, cheese, lettuce and tomato finished with the top slice of ciabatta.