Tuscan-Style Steak with Crispy Potatoes
June 25, 2015
- 1 1/2 lb. (750 g.) baby waxy-skinned potatoes, such as Yukon gold, scrubbed but skins left on, halved
- 4 Tbs. (2 fl. oz./ 60 ml.) extra-virgin olive oil
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. minced fresh hot chile or a generous pinch of dried red pepper flakes
- 3 small fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 bone-in Porterhouse steaks, about 1 lb. (500 g.) each
- Put the potatoes in a large saucepan and add water to cover by 1 inch (2.5 cm.) Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-high and cook until the potatoes are almost tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a large fry pan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the potatoes and toss gently to coat with the oil. Cook without turning until nicely browned on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste, turn and cook, again without turning, until browned on the second side, 5 minutes longer. Stir and cook for a few more 9minutes to finish browning the potatoes and crisping the edges.
- Meanwhile, prepare a fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a gas grill to high. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, the vinegar, lemon juice and chile. If using charcoal, spread the hot coals across one half of the bottom of the grill and leave the other half clear to create a cool zone.
- Tie the rosemary sprigs together at one end, using kitchen string, to make a brush. Using the rosemary, brush the marinade all over the steaks on both sides. Sprinkle on both sides with salt. Arrange the steaks on the grill directly over the heat and sear for 2 minutes. Turn and sear for 2 minutes on the second side. If using charcoal, move the steaks to indirect heat. If using gas, reduce the heat to medium and grill for about 8 minutes longer for medium-rare, turning once or twice and brushing again with the marinade as they cook. Transfer to a cutting board, tent with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide each steak into 2 pieces (you will have to flip or fight for who gets the bones!) and arrange on 4 dinner plates. Spoon some potatoes around the steak and serve. Serves 4.