• 2 – 2 ½ pound cowboy cut rib eye steak (bone-in)
• 1 ½ tablespoons espresso-salt rub, or kosher salt (*see note below)
• 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
• Clarified butter, or vegetable oil
• Shiitake Mushroom Butter (recipe below)
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Pat the rib eye with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture; then, season both sides of the steak with the espresso-salt rub (or plain kosher or sea salt), and the cracked black pepper.
- Heat a cast iron skillet until very hot, and add in just about 1 teaspoon of either clarified butter, or vegetable oil; place the rib eye into the hot skillet and sear it on the first side for about 4-5 minutes, then flip over and sear the other side for about 4-5 minutes; you should have a nice golden-brown crust.
- Next, turn the steak onto it’s side, and carefully slide a digital thermometer through the middle and side of the rib eye, and place the skillet with the rib eye into the oven to bake for roughly 25 minutes, or until the thermometer reaches 130° for medium-rare.
- Remove the steak from the pan and allow it to rest, lightly tented with foil, for about 10 minutes; then, slice the meat and serve with the Shiitake Mushroom Butter, if desired.