- 3 pounds beef brisket
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 gloves garlic, minced and grated
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 8 ounces provolone cheese, shredded
- 4-6 Pretzel Hoagie Rolls , warmed (shape the pretzels into logs instead of pretzels)
- Pepper + Garlic Mushrooms + Onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 16 ounces button mushrooms
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- pinch of salt and pepper
To make in the Crockpot
- Heat a large skillet over high heat add a little olive oil. Season the brisket with salt and pepper. When the skillet is hot place the brisket in the skillet and sear both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side. Place the brisket in the bowl of a crockpot. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, water, worcestershire and cider vinegar. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or on high 6-8 hours.
To cook in the Oven
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a dutch oven over high heat, add a little olive oil. Season the brisket with salt and pepper. When the dutch oven is hot place the brisket in the pot and sear both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from heat. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, water, worcestershire and cider vinegar. Cover and bake for 3 1/2-4 hours or until the meat is tender and shreds easily.
Garlic Mushrooms, Peppers + Onions
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Melt 1 tablespoon butter and then add the garlic. Sauté 30 seconds then add the mushrooms and onions. Cook 5-8 minutes or until mushrooms are browned and onions are cooked down. Remove and place on a plate.
- To the same skillet add another tablespoon butter. Add the bell peppers and cook for 5-8 minutes or until peppers start to brown and char a bit. Add to the plate with the mushrooms and onions.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
- Slice the Pretzel Hoagie Rolls down the center and open them up with your fingers. Add a little shredded provolone and then stuff with the shredded brisket and drizzle with some of the sauce left in the pot used to cook the brisket. Add a handful or so of the peppers, mushrooms and onions and then top with more cheese. Wrap the sandwiches tightly in foil and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and unwrap. EAT.